Monday, March 8, 2010

Shrimp and Barley

This was adapted from a recipe I found in Real Simple Magazine. I used a parmasan, romano, and asiago blend of cheeses in place of the straight parmasan. It was originally a vegetarian dish and I added some shrimp and white kidney beans. Mainly because I love putting beans in things....and because my husband has a hard time eating things that do not have some sort of *meat* in it.....even if its a very small amount he will be happy. He definitely got this from his mother, who was a very bland cook, who put copious amounts of meat in EVERYTHING. So it has taken him a long time to get used me cooking with less meat (whether that is meat, poultry, fish, etc.). It helps that he absolutely loves my cooking :). Probably because it has flavor!





Shrimp and Barley

2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion
salt & pepper
2 cups quick cooking barley
28 oz diced tomatoes
1 cup white wine
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
8 cups fresh spinach
2 oz brie
1/2 cup parmesan
1lb raw shrimp

1. Dice onion and add to pot with olive oil. cook till translucent
2. Add barley, tomatoes, wine, 2 1/2 cups of water, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 12-15 minutes
4. Add spinach, cheeses, and shrimp. Cook until shrimp is opaque. ~5 minutes
5. Serve and sprinkle with parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment