Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whole Wheat Molasses Bread

Whole Wheat Molasses Bread- One Loaf 

I was really in the mood to make a loaf of bread so after going through a bunch of recipes I came across this one: Buckwheat Molasses Bread and I thought that it could be altered a bit to reflect what I had on hand. its a dense bread, but i thoroughly enjoyed it. This is what I came up with:
 
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 teas sea salt
  • 2 tbsp molasses
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1 tbsp active dry yeast
  • 2 1/2-3 cups white unbleached whole wheat flour (King Arthur brand) 

Preparation:

  1. In large bowl, mix together salt, molasses, milk, and yeast. Stir in warm water.
  2. Stir in 2 1/2-3 cups flour.
  3. Turn dough out onto floured board. Knead in remaining flour if needed.
  4. Put dough in greased bowl and make sure all surfaces are covered in oil. Let rise for up to an hour or until the dough doubles in size
  5. Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 5 minutes.
  6. Form dough into bread loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
  7. Brush dough top with egg white. Score the loaves by make three quick slashes across the top.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until dark brown. Remove from oven and turn bread out onto clean kitchen towel or rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment